Who is Monsanto and why should you be concerned? Well, stroll around your local grocery store and see how incorporated the company is in our food industry. Open your cupboards and a part of them is lurking around. They mess with your food.
It is the same company that decided it would be a good idea to inject cows with a magic formula to produce more milk. Or what about herbicide Agent Orange introduced in the Vietnam War- Veteran exposure to this herbicide later suffered with terrible consequences such as rare cancers, skin diseases, multiple sclerosis, birth defects in their children and psychological disorders.
Monsanto was founded in 1901 and its first product was the artificial sweetener saccharin which was sold to Coca Cola. In the 1940′s it was recognized as one of the top 10 US chemical companies. In 1982 Monsanto scientists were the first ever to genetically modify a plant cell which led to their own manufacturing of GMO crops.
Why does this scare me you ask? Well, from the beginning of their business Monsanto is proving to me to have a toxic legacy, environment and human health does not seem to be there first priority.
I take their pledge and examine the fruits of their labor. What do I know about their company: they genetically alter their products, patent seeds, sue farmers, claim they can potentially produce enough yield to feed the ever so growing planet, and famous for their weed killer Round Up.
- No GMO Labeling Laws in the USA!
- Lack of Adequate FDA / USDA Safety Testing
- Monsanto Puts Small Farmers out of Business
Farmer Suicides After GMO Crop Failures
- Monsanto Products Pollute the Developing World
500,000 Agent Orange Babies
- Monsanto Blocking Government Regulations
- Monsanto Guilty of False Advertising & Scientific FRAUD
- Consumers Reject Bovine Growth Hormone rBGH in Milk
- GMO Crops Do NOT Increase Yields
- Monsanto Controls U.S. Soy Market
- Monsanto’s GMO Foods Cause NEW Food Allergies
Many organic farmers are upset because the genetically altered crops are infecting the organic crops. Infecting? That’s a strong word. That is exactly what is happening. The infection happens when pesticides and chemicals interfere with nature’s way. A major battle is brewing between the Monsanto world and the organic farming world. The right to saving and selling seed is a ongoing battle. Dr. Michael W Fox, Chief Consultant of India Project for Animals and Nature reminds people of Monsanto’s “The Terminator” Gene- in which scientists have genetically altered seeds to be sterile. Basically, the company does not want farmers to use seeds for the next season, they want you to buy the seeds each year from them. ”But the Terminator gene could spread to other farmers’ crops, making their natural seed sterile. Wild grasses and other seeds could also be made sterile.”
What happened to the time when farmers did not use pesticides or herbicides, they let nature run its course- and they worked hard to have a bountiful harvest. I know, I know, the grumbling begins…spraying the crops is so much easier…This was my first reaction when I saw the battle ahead of me to weed the yard, how annoying it was for weeds to just keep returning, can’t you just spray something on it to kill it? This frame of thinking soon changed when I began eating my own harvest, could I imagine spraying down my produce with some chemicals and then eating it?
I understand this first hand from the birth of my 3 sons. Instinctively, I understood that I did not want medical intervention. I did not want to alter my bodies natural way of handling labor. I had to make the choice of an easy way that was medicated or a way that trusted nature and my ability to cope. This is when my “Green” kick really started I guess. Being green is staying out of nature’s way. Working in harmony with creation, watching and learning from the process of life, and honoring our planet. You can’t just take and take, throwing chemicals into the mix and not expect some kind of reaction.
Monsanto themselves stated ”We believe food should be grown with less pesticide.” Their words do not match their actions. Roundup is Monsanto’s most successful herbicide. But it is known to cause nausea, skin and eye inflammation, bronchial constriction and nervous system disorders. Monsanto is ranked consistently the largest generator of toxic emissions in the US.
“According to an anonymous 2001 document obtained by the Center for Public Integrity, Monsanto has been identified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency as being a “potentially responsible party” for 56 contaminated sites (Superfund sites) in the United States. Monsanto has been sued, and has settled, multiple times for damaging the health of its employees or residents near its Superfund sites through pollution and poisoning. ” Since the mid-1990s, it has sued 145 individual US farmers for patent infringement in connection with its genetically engineered seed.
I could list all the heartaches Monsanto has caused:
- Hundreds of court cases,
- Multiple studies relating environment and health consequences of pesticides and Genetically modified foods
- Countries affected by Monsanto,
- Land and animals
- Expound on the scary possibility of one company owning all seeds, or
- Play the sympathy card and tell you about the 20,000 people in Alabama seriously ill from Monsanto’s bad decisions (not excluding the environmental havoc caused by Monsanto, they decided it would be okay to dump Mercury and polychlorinated biphenyls(PCBs) into a lake for 40 years.) This was settled after 700 million dollars later.
I wonder what animals would say about Monsanto procedures. Which seed would they prefer, genetically modified or organic? We don’t even give them a choice. But who has the right to say what an animal should be exposed to? Who has the responsibility to say what humans should be exposed to?
What I do know, is that I do not want to follow the herd. To line up and never question what I put in my body. In my son’s body. I would like to be given a choice. The US does not require the labeling of GMO’s, so I guess it is up to me. It is up to me to trust my instinct, my nature, ask questions and to choose to make the right decisions for my body. To consume whole foods, unaltered by man, untouched by processes and manipulations- to respect food and its importance on my life and world.
http://www.monsanto.com/whoweare/Pages/default.aspx, http://underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com/2011/06/23/educate-yourself-learn-about-monsanto-gmo-foods-and-industry-lobbying/, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto, http://bestmeal.info/monsanto/facts.shtml, http://www.organicconsumers.org/Monsanto/toxlegacy.cfm
- Better to go Hungary than eat Monsanto food. (epinoiasphere.wordpress.com)
- You Could Be Eating Genetically Modified Corn – and Not Even Know It [Food] (gizmodo.com)
- GMO Sweet Corn Monsanto Poison !!! (2012patriot.wordpress.com)
- India Sues Monsanto Over GM Eggplant (friendseat.com)
- Roundup herbicide research shows plant, soil problems (scientificamerican.com)
- Monsanto trying to take over world seed supply, nation by nation. (thetruthiswhere.wordpress.com)
- Monsantopoly ??? (2012patriot.wordpress.com)
- Monsanto Plans To Sell Sweet Corn In Your Local Supermarket (fastcompany.com)
- Monsanto Official Beaten by Farmers in India…causing thousands India’s farmers to commit suicide!!! (via Randy’s Right) (loopyloo305.wordpress.com)
- Educate yourself – learn about Monsanto, GMO foods and industry lobbying… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)